Battling bad science
15-min talk by Ben Goldacre on ways evidence can be distorted.Key Concepts addressed:
- 1-3 Association is not the same as causation
- 1-5 Newer is not necessarily better
- 1-6 Expert opinion is not always right
- 1-7 Beware of conflicting interests
- 3-2 Are you very different from the people studied?
- 2-8 Consider all of the relevant fair comparisons
Every day there are news reports of new health advice, but how can you know if they’re right? Doctor and epidemiologist Ben Goldacre shows us, at high speed, the ways evidence can be distorted, from the blindingly obvious nutrition claims to the very subtle tricks of the pharmaceutical industry.
This talk was presented at an official TED conference