Calling Bullshit Syllabus
Carl Bergstrom's and Jevin West's nice syllabus for 'Calling Bullshit'.Key Concepts addressed:
- 1-3 Association is not the same as causation
- 1-7 Beware of conflicting interests
- 1-9 Earlier is not necessarily better
- 2-8 Consider all of the relevant fair comparisons
- 2-10 All fair comparisons and outcomes should be reported
- 2-13 Average measures of effects can be misleading
The learning objectives are straightforward. After taking the course, you should be able to:
- Remain vigilant for bullshit contaminating your information diet.
- Recognize said bullshit whenever and wherever you encounter it.
- Figure out for yourself precisely why a particular bit of bullshit is bullshit.
- Provide a statistician or fellow scientist with a technical explanation of why a claim is bullshit.
- Provide your crystals-and-homeopathy aunt or casually racist uncle with an accessible and persuasive explanation of why a claim is bullshit.